Alton Towers Resort reveals terrifying ‘Toxic Junkyard’ scare maze to open at this year’s Scarefest
- Thursday September 17th 2020
- Alton Towers Resort
- An image and video revealed today give a chilling glimpse of the clown-inspired horror that awaits thrillseekers
- The outdoor maze will lure brave volunteers through an eerie old junkyard that holds a dark secret
- Details of additional new outdoor family spook attraction set in the Theme Park’s listed gardens have also been revealed
- Tickets for Scarefest 2020 are now live
Alton Towers Resort aren’t clowning around with their latest scare maze after revealing the first image, spine-tingling video and details of Freak Show: Toxic Junkyard that hint at what will await courageous guests this Scarefest.
Set outside in what appears to be an abandoned junkyard, daring thrillseekers will discover the dark and disturbing secret it hides in a truly chilling experience. After being hunted and cast out of the community, the last of the Freak Show psycho clowns have gone into hiding, plotting in secret their next “BIG SHOW”. Will dare devils entering the junkyard be able to help stop their evil plan or will they become the main attraction of the next performance?
Situated in an open-air space of the Theme Park, the new maze is inspired by the Theme Park’s hugely popular Freak Show ‘scare zone’ which has featured at Scarefest in previous years. The walkthrough experience saw guests come face-to-face with a travelling side-show of circus rejects and misfits. Following its popularity with thrillseekers, scare experts at the Resort have significantly dialled up the fear factor and created a menacing maze featuring psycho clowns and horrifying freaky folk that can only be endured by those aged 15 years and over.
In an interactive two-part unsettling and creepy video released by the park today (Thursday September 17th), two teenagers can be seen enjoying a harmless kickabout. Their fun takes a sinister turn when they lose their football. The video then gives viewers the chance to decide the nightmarish fate of the teenagers by choosing “heads” or “tails”. Trapped in the Junkyard with nowhere to go, and the chilling sound of psychotic laughter getting ever closer, the doomed duo are in the hands of the viewers.
A tease visual (above) has also been revealed for the new maze.
Freak Show: Toxic Junkyard is the latest horror experience to join the Resort’s line up of renowned and award-winning scare mazes*, which will this year see the return of:
- Altonville Mine Tours: a tour with a not-so-beautiful twist that invites thrillseekers to enter a damp, disused mine, believed to have once been home to a family of village outcasts nicknamed the ‘Skin Snatchers’ by local residents. Their spine-chilling secret is about to be unearthed. Remember ‘Beauty is only skin deep’.
- The Attic: Terror of the Towers: high in the eaves of the Theme Park’s famous historical Tower ruins, people talk of the Governess. Rumour has it that she’s haunted by the death of her young charges. They say she wants revenge, and she will take it by seizing the spirits of the living in retribution. Word is her ghost haunts The Attic.
- Darkest Depths: an award-winning pirate themed attraction for families and thrillseekers alike. Guests are invited to board the infamous ghost ship ‘The Mutiny’ and journey into the darkest depths to earn their piece of eight.
The Alton Towers Dungeon will also be offering spooks and scares to guests wishing to venture through the attraction on a hideously hilarious journey through Staffordshire’s darkest history.
Scarefest 2020 will also see the introduction of the Garden Lights Walk: Whispering Souls, a free family experience that gives guests the chance to see the Resort’s listed gardens brought to life as never before. Take an otherworldly stroll and discover a mysterious energy that runs through the Gardens’ water believed to bring lost souls back from the dead for All Hallows’ Eve.
Additional family frights and spookalicous fun include the Freaky Fun Zone led by the Resort’s Halloween characters in their colourful playground with amazing shows, including Patch’s Halloween Party, ghostly tales from spooky Skelvin, as well as Phil and Franklin’s Ghoul School and Gretyl with her magic spells!
Families with young children can also take part in the CBeebies Land Monster Ball in CBeebies Land. Guests are invited to dress up in their favourite costume and join some of their favourite CBeebies characters live in Big Fun ShowTime as they dance, play games and learn all about spooky things! This year the event will feature Peter Rabbit, the Teletubbies, Bing, Ubercorn, and many more!
The Alton Ancestors dancing flashmob will also be back in socially-distanced action across the park providing fun-packed live entertainment for all to enjoy. The Alton Ancestors have risen from the grave once more and returned to their old stomping ground, but be warned - standing still is not an option when that music starts.
Open until 9pm each day, guests will be able to enjoy all the theme park’s world-class thrilling rides, rollercoasters and attractions in the dark including its latest adrenaline-pumping coaster, Wicker Man.
Since re-opening on July 4th, Alton Towers Resort has implemented a wide range of measures to help ensure social distancing and good hygiene whilst guests enjoy a fun day out. A full list of the measures can be found here www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/before-you-visit/know-before-you-go. The Resort remains committed to continuously monitoring and adapting its measures in line with the changing government guidance.
Scarefest is being planned in strict accordance with existing COVID-19 measures, which will be adapted should guidance change at any point before or during Scarefest taking place. Capacity will remain at a level where social distancing can be maintained, including in entertainment spaces, and open-air or well-ventilated venues will be utilised. Full details of the safety measures for Scarefest will be released shortly.**
Scarefest will take place at Alton Towers Resort from Friday October 9th to Sunday October 11th, then each day from Friday October 16th to Sunday November 1st.
To find out more about Scarefest at Alton Towers Resort visit www.altontowers.com/scarefest